As a fan of scavenger hunts and video games, the invitation to the media launch of Berghaus Urban Adventure Games had me intrigued.
“Experience the 1st app based Urban Adventure Game,” said the invitation from Berghaus, a premier British brand for outdoor gear. “Please wear rubber shoes,” was the only follow-up when I confirmed my attendance.
Good call on the rubber shoes, as I found myself running all over a basketball court searching for hidden stickers with QR barcode scanners, doing burpees and sit-ups, and racking my brain for answers to trivia and riddles. What makes the game unique is how challenges are unlocked and scores are monitored using Android phones.
Before the game began, we had to download the Cyburban app (available for free from the Google Play store) and sign up via email or Facebook. Once you open the game, the clock timer begins to tick. The app displayed different categories and challenges we could choose from to rack up points just like an online quiz.
But unlike app games that keep you glued to your screens, the game still required a lot of physical activity. We had to complete various obstacles, test our strength at CrossFit stations, and run around grounds in a digitized scavenger hunt. Our progress was tracked in real time as scores were flashed on the screen the whole time. During the game, there were additional challenges where we had to post on Instagram or answer via Twitter. All in all, it was a fun sneak peek at what’s in store for the real game.
The Berghaus Urban Adventure Games will be held on November 15, 2014 at the Globe Circuit Event Grounds in Makati City. The event is being held in conjunction with the 2014 Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour and is organized by Cyburbam, an innovator in app-based adventure racing.
Teams of 3 members each will receive their challenges on their mobile phones as they race to accumulate points before the clock runs out. Each team should have their own Android phone as the race
There are three categories for the games: Fun, Competitive and Elite. The Fun categories will be scored but not timed, while the Competitive and Elite teams will be given a limited time to complete as many challenges and accumulate as many points as possible.
There’s no prescribed route since all challenges are revealed in the app from the start. Teams need to strategize and choose which challenges they want to perform within the prescribed time.
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN:
- You get to push your limits with mental and physical challenges with your friends.
- It’s a fun and alternative activity to runs and marathons and traditional adventure races.
- Categories include both mental and physical challenges, and the tasks can be done by different team members.
- It looks like a fun recreational activity for friends or competitive family members who want to play in teams.
- All registrants get a singlet from Berghaus (pre-event) and swag from sponsors (post-event)
- The Top 30 in Fun category, while Top 10 in competitive category get Event T-Shirts
- Cash prizes will be awarded to the 1st place teams of all three categories.
- After the event, you can catch the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour at the same venue. The Festival will be featuring films about climbing, skiing, kayaking, biking, adventure, culture and the environment.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST:
- Registration fees are as follows:
- Elite Category: Php 3,000
- Competitive Category: Php 2,700
- Fun Category: Php 2,400
TIPS AND USEFUL INFO:
- Registration starts on Friday, October 24. Deadline of entries is November 12, 2014.
- Teams may register at the following stores: Toby’s Sports Shangrila, Toby’s Sports MoA, Toby’s Sports Glorietta 2, Toby’s Sports The Block, Toby’s Sports Robinsons Ermita and RUNNR-BHS.
- You’ll be moving and running around a lot. Wear comfortable clothes and rubber shoes.
- Each team needs to have one Android phone. Note: Some users who had iPhones experienced some glitches during the test run.
- Make sure your phone has a dedicated data plan or at least one member in the group has WiFi.
- Since you will be relying on your Android Smartphone heavily for the race, I suggest you bring fully charged Powerbanks and a charger just in case.
- During the launch, I noticed that physical challenges correspond to higher points compared to the trivia and riddles.
- Points only count if you have completed a category, so the key is to focus on one category at a time, instead of trying to do multiple tasks across categories.
All challenges will be held in the Globe Circuit Event Grounds in Makati City. More information on the Berghaus Urban Adventure Games can be found at: http://www.cyburban.org/berghaus/