Lightweight, sporty and functional. The Deuter Spider 22L Backpack seemed to be just what I was looking for. The German brand Deuter is known for producing quality backpacks for all types of outdoor adventures, including hiking, biking, trekking and mountain climbing. And while very compact, the backpack does not disappoint.
Since I got this late last year, this has been my go-to backpack for urban commuting for meetings and events around the metro, overnight hotel staycations, quick weekend trips as well as hiking and outdoor activities when I need to bring more stuff than what usually fits in my all-around convertible shoulder/belt bag. Here’s a quick rundown of the bag’s main features:
1. It’s lightweight but durable
The backpack is very compact and lightweight. It weighs 720g and measures 50 / 28 / 18 (H x W x D) cm. The pack capacity is just 22 L, smaller than the average 35-50 L backpack that’s usually recommended for weekend (1-3 nights trips), making it ideal for a daypack or overnighter. As with all Deuter products, the bag is made from quality materials including Deuter-Microrip-Nylon / Deuter-Ripstop 330 material, which comes with a one-year warranty.
2. Airstripes back system
Deuter daypacks make use of Airstripes, a ventilation system that lets the air flow at the back, which leaves you feeling cool even when you’re carrying it while hiking or biking in our tropical weather. The shoulder straps are anatomically shaped, making it more comfortable to carry the bag around. The bag also has a detachable hip belt, stepless adjustable chest straps and compression straps.
3. Multiple storage systems
The backpack’s different compartments and pockets help keeps items organized. The bag has a zipped internal pocket for valuables, two stretch side pockets and a front pocket with two internal mesh pockets. The most useful feature is the bottom compartment with a removable separator. You can unzip the separator, and make the bag roomier, or keep the compartments separate. This is useful for storing shoes or slippers and other heavier items that you need easy access to. It also serves as a wet laundry compartment.
4. Useful outdoor features
The bag has 3M reflectors on the front and back, which is useful when you’re using it for hiking and biking trips or at night. There’s a key clip for you to attach keys to and keep them handy. There’s also an elastic cord attachment on the front and a reflective loop for safety light.
While covering the Earth & Water Festival Duathlon in Batangas
The Spider 22L Backpack looks both sleek and sporty with its streamlined design. We were given the option of choosing our preferred color. The backpack comes in Midnight-Ocean Blue, Anthracite Black and Cranberry-Fire Red. Since I have several black backpacks already, I opted for the red one, which has a very sporty and fun vibe. I’ve been wanting a bright-colored bag because it always helps to be more visible during outdoor activities and when motorcycling or biking around the city streets.
Hiking in the rain to Calbiga Caves in Samar
FIELD TEST NOTES:
- The backpack got baptized in Samar when I took it on a hiking trip to Calbiga Caves, where it got battered by mud and rain. The outer portion got soaked and really dirty, but it still managed to protect the contents of my bag which included an SLR camera and other gadgets.
- The backpack is very useful for daytrips and overnight trips. Though it’s relatively small, I tend to pack light, so I manage to fit the stuff I need for 3 to week-long trips out of town in this bag. (Though usually on the trips back home, I have an extra eco-bag to fit in all the pasalubong items and food.)
- It forces me to pack light which I like.
- It’s useful as a daypack for hiking and as a bike bag, because of the built-in compartment that can fit a hydration bladder.
- I like the fact that there’s a separate bottom compartment, which is useful for keeping shoes and dirty clothes separate. You can easily put last-minute items like damp/wet clothes wrapped in plastic after swimming trips without “infecting” the rest of your clean (or semi-clean) clothes.
- It’s suited for both outdoor activities and urban adventures.
- It matches my scooter. 🙂
- The side pockets are a bit small for large water containers, but 2 standard mineral water bottles can fit snugly. The bigger water containers tend to stretch the pockets.
- The backpack’s size is too small for extended trips, but it can be used for overnight to 3 day trip if you know how to pack light and you’re not bringing a laptop or other heavier items.
On the sleeper bus from Naga City, Bicol
With its sporty design and useful features, the Deuter Spider 22L daypack is ideal for weekend warriors into outdoor activities like hiking, biking and motorcycling. It’s also a pretty useful all-around bag for urban commuting, going to the gym and traveling. I expect this will be my travel companion in lots of trips this year.
Hiking to Mt. Tagapo on Talim Island
Deuter Spider backpack with Spyder helmet
WHERE TO BUY IT:
Check out the Deuter Concept Store, 2nd Level SM Mall of Asia a the North Entertainment Mall. For more Information: Call 9251578 or 9252391 or Email Info@dynamicsportsa.com.ph. Facebook Page: Deuter