Losing important documents and gadgets while on the road is every traveler’s nightmare. To address this, different bag companies have come up with bags and backpacks with anti-theft features.
One such option is the Targus 15.6″ Citylite II Collection, a line of business backpacks that promise to give users peace of mind while traveling and commuting. There are four backpacks under the collection, namely the Citylite II Ultra Backpack, Max Backpack, SL Backpack and the Ultimate Backpack. The first three are designed to fit 15.6″ laptops, while the Ultimate Backpack can store laptops up to 17″.
1) Anti-theft protection
One of the most notable features of the backpack is the anti-theft protection. I’ve had friends who have had their phones and tablets stolen right out of their bags while they were just walking, so this feature is pretty useful for urban commuters. Since you can’t see what’s going on behind you, the backpack has a safety lock anti-theft puller system to safeguard your valuables.
The clasp at the end securely locks the zipper in place like a keyring, making it difficult for thieves to just unzip the bag while you’re walking. There’s also a secret pocket at the back panel of the bag for keeping valuables that will not be accessible to anyone when you’re carrying the bag.
2) Weatherpoof protection
The backpack comes with a built-in detachable rain cover that folds into a small pocket at the base of the bag. The whole bag is also constructed of durable 840D polyester with PU backing and a wear and water-resistant bottom. The rain cover came in pretty handy during a camping trip which started with a long boat ride and less than favorable weather.
On the boat & camping in Jomalig, Quezon
3) Accident protection
The backpack also offers extra protection for gadgets. It comes with a built-in snug fitted foam cradle laptop compartment designed to fit laptops and tablets up to 15.6″. If you like to travel with gadgets, you can be assured that they are properly padded.
Design-wise, the backpack looks modern and contemporary. It comes in basic black, with a jolt of blue for the lining and zippers. It looks stylish enough for urban explorations or short trips out of town. If you don’t like bringing maleta type bags with wheels, this backpack is professional-looking enough for business trips especially if you’ll be bringing a laptop.
It’s still rugged enough to bring even to more outdoorsy backpacking weekends or camping trips. The backpack was ergonomically designed to mold to the user’s back and shoulders. The padded back panel and shoulder straps and soft neoprene handle makes it comfortable to carry around.
Used as a daypack while hiking in Itbayat, Batanes
FIELD TEST NOTES:
- I’ve used the bag on trips ranging from overnight hotel staycations to week long trips, and it’s managed to fit all the stuff I need.
- The backpack came in very useful in Batanes. Aside from storing all my stuff for the trip, we also used it as a daypack / bike bag while biking around. We placed the hydration bladder in one compartment, while having enough storage space for a tupperware of our packed lunch, an SLR, hammock and lots of energy bars.
- The backpack’s multiple storage spaces are pretty handy for stashing last minute items during trips.
- The quick access pocket in the front is useful for storing items you need to keep handy like bus tickets, a small notebook and pen, plastic bags, etc.
- The side pockets can store up to two water bottles. However, if the bag is too full, sometimes the water bottles don’t fit anymore.
- The secret pocket at the back panel is useful for stashing extra cash and important items.
- The detachable rain cover provides an extra layer of protection for those times when it suddenly drizzles or rains while you’re on the road. While the bag is weatherproof and water-resistant, I don’t think it’s completely water-proof. To be extra sure, I usually wrap my backpack with large garbage bags during long boat rides or if it rains heavily while camping.
Used as a bike bag while biking around Batan South, Batanes
The Targus Citylite II Ultra Backpack is a versatile backpack with anti-theft features that makes it useful for protecting gadgets when traveling in urban areas and beyond.
PRICE: SRP for Targus 15.6″ Citylite II Ultra Backpack is P 2,899.90
WHERE TO BUY IT: The Targus Citylite II Ultra Backpack Bag is available at SM Department Stores: Makati, Mall of Asia, Megamall and North EDSA; Rustan’s Makati, Gateway, Robinsons Ermita, EDSA Shangri-La and Alabang Town Center; Cash & Carry Department Store Makati and Metro Gaisano Ayala Alabang.
On the sleeper bus from Naga City to Manila
For Targus product updates, visit the following: