It’s good to know that more companies are doing their part to help the environment when manufacturing products. The EcoSmart Emerald Green Messenger bag from Targus, a manufacturer of accessories for the mobile lifestyle, shows how companies are blending environmental sustainability with a functional product ideal for urban use. I was surprised to find out that the bag (along with other products in their EcoSmart line) is made from polyester material sourced from recycled plastic bottles and PVC-free material.
The Targus EcoSmart Messenger Bag is designed to protect a laptop up to 12.1″ or a mirrorless camera. You can securely carry a laptop in the dedicated padded compartment inside the main bag. If you’re not bringing a laptop, the same space can be used to store other items and/or a mirrorless camera placed in the lightweight and removable camera pouch that comes along with the bag. Smaller accessories can be placed in the accessory pockets.
The front quick access pocket can hold a phone and other items that need to be easily accessible, while the back Velcro pocket can store larger files, documents, a magazine or even a tablet.
Small items like business cards, USBs, SD cards and the like can be stored in the different compartments. There are several small pockets inside the bag made especially for these small items so that you can easily find them.
I currently don’t own a mirrorless camera, but the removable camera pouch is the perfect fit for the Oppo N1 Android Smartphone I’ve been using for a gadget review. The phablet is pretty large (170.7 x 82.6 x 9 mm) but it fits perfectly in the pouch, along with a set of earphones and the O-Click remote shutter for the phone.
The bag has a minimalist and modern design. It comes in black with green accents and green interiors. The EcoSmart rubber logo on the sign and and zipper pullers are nice subtle touches.
While the bag looks like a typical functional messenger bag, what makes it unique is that it was constructed with polyester material made from recycled plastic bottles. The case is PVC-free and features nickel-free hardware and recyclable plastic components.
At the circuit board wall at Manila Bulletin’s cafeteria. BTS for ANC’s Future Perfect shoot
Its modern design makes it ideal for daily urban use. It looks professional enough for business meetings while still being casual enough to use for malling or commuting. While It’s a bit too small for out of town trips and general travel, I’ve used it for trips to the mall, meetings, restaurant reviews and shoots in the metro when I don’t need to carry a bulky SLR camera.
FIELD TEST NOTES:
- The bag is functional for urban commuters, who often have to travel in crowded buses or trains. Its slim design makes it easier for commuting since it’s not as bulky as a backpack or typical laptop bag.
- It is both sleek and sporty, making it light enough to carry around if you are traveling by motorcycle or bicycle.
- The adjustable shoulder straps and durable carry handles make it easy to transport and comfortable to carry around even while biking. You can adjust the straps so that you’re carrying the bag at your back and not on your side.
- The green interior lining makes looking for content easier in marginal lighting conditions.
- The storage compartments with corresponding icons are helpful for storing small items like USBs, SD cards, calling cards, etc.
- The bag’s slim design forces users to streamline what they normally bring around when they go around for the day to just the essential gadgets, which is a good thing.
With its sleek look, overall functionality and environmentally-friendly features, the Targus EcoSmart messenger bag line is a good option for eco-conscious users on the go.
PRICE: SRP for 12.1” EcoSmart™ Emerald GREEN Messenger (TBM565AP) with Mirrorless Camera Pouch – P 3,799.00
WHERE TO BUY IT: The Targus Messenger Bag is available at SM Department Stores: Makati, Mall of Asia, Megamall and North EDSA; Rustan’s Makati, Gateway, Robinsons Ermita, EDSA Shangri-La and Alabang Town Center; Cash & Carry Department Store Makati and Metro Gaisano Ayala Alabang.
For Targus product updates, visit the following: