Lightweight, sporty and functional. The Deuter Spider 22L Backpack is exactly the backpack I need for my trips. German brand Deuter is known for producing quality backpacks for all types of outdoor adventures, including hiking, biking, trekking and mountain climbing. And while very compact, the backpack does not disappoint.
Since I got it in 2015, it’s been my go-to backpack for all my trips. I’ve actually gone through a lot of memorable trips with this bag including multi-day Solo Motorcycle Trips and most recently while doing the Vertical Bivouac Extreme Adventure in Bukidnon. It’s also pretty useful for urban commuting for meetings and events around the metro, overnight hotel staycations, quick weekend trips as well as day trip and overnight hiking and outdoor activities. I know this is supposed to be a bag for day trips, but I can fit a week’s worth of stuff here. Here’s a quick rundown of the bag’s main features:
1. It’s lightweight but durable
The backpack is very compact and lightweight. It weighs 720g and measures 50 / 28 / 18 (H x W x D) cm. The pack capacity is just 22 L, smaller than the average 35-50 L backpack that’s usually recommended for weekend (1-3 nights trips), making it ideal for a daypack or overnighter. As with all Deuter products, the bag is made from quality materials including Deuter-Microrip-Nylon / Deuter-Ripstop 330 material, which comes with a one-year warranty.
Motorcycling from Manila to Naga City, Bicol
2. Airstripes back system
Deuter daypacks make use of Airstripes, a ventilation system that lets the air flow at the back, which leaves you feeling cool even when you’re carrying it while hiking or biking in our tropical weather. The shoulder straps are anatomically shaped, making it more comfortable to carry the bag around. The bag also has a detachable hip belt, stepless adjustable chest straps and compression straps.
3. Multiple storage systems
The backpack’s different compartments and pockets help keeps items organized. The bag has a zipped internal pocket for valuables, two stretch side pockets and a front pocket with two internal mesh pockets. The most useful feature is the bottom compartment with a removable separator. You can unzip the separator, and make the bag roomier, or keep the compartments separate. This is useful for storing shoes or slippers and other heavier items that you need easy access to. It also serves as a wet laundry compartment.
4. Useful outdoor features
The bag has 3M reflectors on the front and back, which is useful when you’re using it for hiking and biking trips or at night. There’s a key clip for you to attach keys to and keep them handy. There’s also an elastic cord attachment on the front and a reflective loop for safety light.
While covering the Earth & Water Festival Duathlon in Batangas
For Wrangler’s #True Wanderer 2016 Finalist’s Leg in Cebu
The Spider 22L Backpack looks both sleek and sporty with its streamlined design. We were given the option of choosing our preferred color. The backpack comes in Midnight-Ocean Blue, Anthracite Black and Cranberry-Fire Red. Since I have several black backpacks already, I opted for the red one, which has a very sporty and fun vibe. I’ve been wanting a bright-colored bag because it always helps to be more visible during outdoor activities and when motorcycling or biking around the city streets.
Hiking in the rain to Calbiga Caves in Samar
FIELD TEST NOTES:
- The backpack is very useful for daytrips and overnight trips. Though it’s relatively small and compact, I tend to pack light, so I can manage to fit the stuff I need for 3 to week-long trips out of town in this bag.
- It forces me to pack light which I like.
- It’s useful as a daypack for hiking and as a bike bag, because of the built-in compartment that can fit a hydration bladder.
- I like the fact that there’s a separate bottom compartment, which is useful for keeping shoes and dirty clothes separate. You can easily put last-minute items like damp/wet clothes wrapped in plastic after swimming trips without “infecting” the rest of your clean (or semi-clean) clothes.
- It’s suited for both outdoor activities and urban adventures.
- It matches my scooter. 🙂
- The side pockets are a bit small for large water containers, but 2 standard mineral water bottles can fit snugly. The bigger water containers tend to stretch the pockets.
- The backpack’s size is a bit small for extended trips, but it can be used for overnight to 3 day trip if you know how to pack light and you’re not bringing a laptop or other heavier items.
On the sleeper bus from Naga City, Bicol
With its sporty design and useful features, the Deuter Spider 22L daypack is ideal for weekend warriors into outdoor activities like hiking, biking and motorcycling. It’s also a pretty useful all-around bag for urban commuting, going to the gym and traveling.
Hiking to Mt. Tagapo on Talim Island
Solo ride around Samar Island
WHERE TO BUY IT:
Check out the Deuter Concept Store, 2nd Level SM Mall of Asia a the North Entertainment Mall. For more Information: Call 9251578 or 9252391 or Email Info@dynamicsportsa.com.ph. Facebook Page: Deuter