There are so many considerations when it comes to choosing a backpack these days. Three of the most important factors would probably be trip length, personal style of backpacking and body type. For weekend warriors and long-term travelers, a good backpack is a must for different kinds of adventures.
German brand Vaude (pronounced fau-de) is a family-run company and sustainable outdoor outfitter that offers a wide range of backpacks for hiking, biking and other outdoor adventures. They also produce high quality outdoor clothing and equipment, shoes, sleeping bags & pads, tents, luggage and other travel accessories for mountaineers, hikers, mountain bikers and road cyclists.
During the launch in Tripologie in Eastwood, we got a look at some of Vaude’s main products that are relevant to the Philippine market – namely hiking backpacks, daypacks, bike backpacks and accessories. It’s good to know Vaude has specifically designed women’s packs in their collection with features to cater to the needs of women. I was also interested in some of Vaude’s bike backpacks and hydration systems. Here’s a look at some of the most notable product features:
- Shorter back length: Since women have shorter torso lengths and narrower shoulders than men, Vaude women’s backpacks are generally smaller, with shorter back length, and a narrower profile for an optimal fit.
- S-shaped shoulder straps: Vaude’s women’s packs have been designed with s-shaped shoulder straps to ensure that they don’t chafe under the arms or create hot spots in the chest area and sits more securely on the shoulder area. The height of the sternum strap can be easily adjusted using a slide rail system.
- Soft materials: The shoulder straps of women’s packs are covered with a very soft fabric which is a great bonus when you’re wearing short sleeves or sleeveless tops when cycling or hiking.
- Helmet Holder: Vaude bike backpacks come with an optional helmet holder which can be easily attached with four straps.
- Safety Light Clip: All Vaude bike backpacks come with a safety light clip which can be attached directly to the backpack when visibility is poor or in dark conditions.
- Rain Cover: All Vaude backpacks that aren’t fully waterproof to start with come with a rain cover. For safety reasons, all the rain covers feature a large reflective logo, safety light attachment point and can be removed for cleaning. The rain covers have two slots at the bottom so that they can be threaded through the hipbelt to prevent the cover from slipping upward.
- Volume Expansion: Many Vaude backpacks feature volume expansion as indicated in their name. For instance, the Splash 20+5 has a standard volume of 20 liters with an expansion of 5 liters.
- Hydration System Exit Port: All Vaude backpacks are hydration system compatible – they have an opening for the hydration tube to pass through, as well as an attachment system for the hydration bladder inside the pack.
In terms of the design, the backpacks are very streamlined and functional-looking. Vaude seems to stick to a basic color palette (black, gray, red, green, blue) for most of their backpacks, as well as a few vibrant colors (orange, grasshopper green, sky and teal blue) for the hiking backpacks. Except for a few bright pink ones in some backpack categories, the colors of backpacks for men and women are not significantly different, which I appreciate. Here are some of the backpack designs and specs.
Tripologie, the exclusive distributor of Vaude bags and luggage in the Philippines, has an existing partnership with Trail Adventours, one of the pioneering mountaineering tour groups in the country, who have tried and tested Vaude backpacks on the mountain trails. According to adventure guides, the bags have perfectly delivered under all weather conditions and endured abuse from their frequent hikes.
I’ve also been using the Vaude Theodor XS shoulder bag for a couple of months now. It’s just right for stashing basic gadgets when on the road and can be used for urban and casual adventures. The bag features a front zip pocket, inner mesh pocket and key ring, which keeps items secure. It’s also made of 100% Polyester and 1000 D Tarpaulin which keeps items safe even in the rain.
WHERE TO BUY VAUDE PRODUCTS:
Vaude products are available in Tripologie, Eastwood Citywalk 2, Quezon City. Some products can also be ordered online via Lazada.